Class 9, Chapter 5: The Snake and the Mirror

Chapter 5 in "Beehive" is the poem **"The Snake and the Mirror"** by Vaikom Muhammad Basheer (translated from Malayalam). (Correction: "The Snake and the Mirror" is a prose chapter. The poem after "A Truly Beautiful Mind" is "The Lake Isle of Innisfree". If you're following sequence, Ch 4 was "A Truly Beautiful Mind", so Ch 5 should be the poem "The Lake Isle of Innisfree" followed by the prose Ch 5 "The Snake and the Mirror". Let's assume you mean the prose chapter.)


Chapter 5: The Snake and the Mirror**


**Thinking about the Text**


**I. Discuss in pairs and answer each question below in a short paragraph (30–40 words).**


1. **“The sound was a familiar one.” What sound did the doctor hear? What did he think it was? How many times did he hear it? (Find the places in the text.) When and why did the sounds stop?**

    * **Answer:** The doctor heard the sound of rats moving about in the room above. He thought it was the usual sound of rats. He heard it three times (Paragraphs 2, 3, and 5 mention the sounds). The sounds stopped after the snake landed on his shoulder because the rats might have been scared away by the snake's presence or the doctor was too focused on the snake to notice other sounds.


2. **What two “important” and “earth-shaking” decisions did the doctor take while he was looking into the mirror?**

    * **Answer:** While looking into the mirror, the doctor decided:

        1. To shave daily and grow a thin moustache to look more handsome.

        2. To always keep an attractive smile on his face.


3. **“I looked into the mirror and smiled,” says the doctor. A little later he says, “I forgot my danger and smiled feebly at myself.” What is the doctor’s opinion about himself when (i) he first smiles, and (ii) he smiles again? In what way do his thoughts change in between, and why?**

    * **Answer:**

        * **(i) When he first smiles:** He admires his looks and considers himself a handsome bachelor and a doctor. He is proud and somewhat vain.

        * **(ii) When he smiles again:** He feels foolish and helpless. His earlier pride has vanished, replaced by fear and the realization of his insignificance in the face of danger (the snake).

        His thoughts change dramatically because of the sudden appearance of the snake on his shoulder. The immediate threat to his life makes him forget his vanity and handsome looks, and he is overcome with fear.


**II. This story about a frightening incident is narrated in a humorous way. What makes it humorous? (Think of the contrasts it presents between dreams and reality. Some of them are listed below.)**


1. **(i) The kind of person the doctor is (money, possessions)**

    **(ii) The kind of person he wants to be (appearance, ambition)**

    * **Answer:**

        * **(i) Reality:** The doctor is a poor man with meagre earnings and few possessions (one solitary black coat, some shirts and dhotis, sixty rupees in his suitcase). His room is a small, unelectrified rented one, infested with rats.

        * **(ii) Dreams/Ambition:** He wants to look more handsome (shave daily, grow a thin moustache, keep an attractive smile). He also dreams of marrying a rich, fat woman doctor with a good medical practice so that if he made a silly mistake, she wouldn't be able to run after him and catch him.

        The humor comes from the stark contrast between his modest reality and his somewhat vain and amusing aspirations.


2. **(i) The person he wants to marry**

    **(ii) The person he actually marries**

    * **Answer:**

        * **(i) Wants to marry:** He wants to marry a woman doctor who has plenty of money and a good medical practice. He also wants her to be fat so that she cannot run after him if he makes a mistake.

        * **(ii) Actually marries:** He actually marries a thin, reedy person with the gift of a sprinter.

        The humor lies in the complete opposite outcome of his desires for a wife, particularly regarding her physical build and agility.


3. **(i) His thoughts when he looks into the mirror**

    **(ii) His thoughts when the snake is coiled around his arm**

    * **Answer:**

        * **(i) Thoughts looking into the mirror (before snake):** He thinks he is handsome, a bachelor, and a doctor. He admires his smile and decides to enhance his appearance. He is full of self-appreciation.

        * **(ii) Thoughts when snake is coiled around his arm:** He feels like a "stone image in the flesh." He is terrified, remembers God, and feels foolish and helpless. He thinks of himself as a "poor, foolish, and stupid doctor."

        The drastic shift from vanity to utter helplessness and the self-deprecating thoughts in the face of mortal danger create humor. The grand "earth-shaking" decisions seem comical when he is confronted with a real life-and-death situation.


    **Write short paragraphs on each of these to get your answer.**


    *(The answers provided above for each point cover the requirements for short paragraphs.)*


**Thinking about Language**


**I. Here are some sentences from the text. Say which of them tell you that the author:**

**(a) was afraid of the snake.**

**(b) was proud of his appearance.**

**(c) had a sense of humour.**

**(d) was no longer afraid of the snake.**


1. I was turned to stone. – **(a) was afraid of the snake.**

2. I was no mere image cut in granite. I was a man of flesh and blood. – **(d) was no longer afraid of the snake.** (This is said *after* the snake has left, when he feels relief and regains his senses).

3. The fellow had such a sense of cleanliness…! The rascal could have taken it! – **(c) had a sense of humour.**

4. I tried in my imagination to write in bright letters outside my little heart the words, ‘O God’. – **(a) was afraid of the snake.**

5. I didn’t tremble. I didn’t cry out. – **(a) was afraid of the snake.** (Implies he was trying to control his fear, but the fear was present).

6. I looked into the mirror and smiled. It was an attractive smile. – **(b) was proud of his appearance.**

7. I was suddenly a man of flesh and blood. – **(d) was no longer afraid of the snake.** (Similar to point 2, after the snake is gone).

8. I was a bachelor and a doctor too on top of it! – **(b) was proud of his appearance.**

9. The wind from the open window ruffled my hair. – (This sentence itself doesn't strongly indicate any of the options, but is part of the narrative).

10. I wanted to marry a woman who was fat. – **(c) had a sense of humour.** (His reasoning for wanting a fat wife is humorous).

11. The snake was taken with its own beauty. – **(c) had a sense of humour.**

12. I was a poor, foolish and stupid doctor. – **(a) was afraid of the snake.** (This is his thought when the snake is on him, reflecting his helplessness).


**II. Expression of fear**

**Can you find the expressions in the story that tell you that the author was frightened? Read the story aloud. Working in pairs, get your partner to C. Match the expressions with their meanings.**

* (This is an activity that requires locating specific phrases from the text. Examples of expressions showing fear would be: "I was turned to stone," "I held my breath," "death lurked four inches away," "I tried in my imagination to write in bright letters outside my little heart the words, ‘O God’," "I sat there holding my breath," "I was no mere image cut in granite" - initially this indicates paralysis due to fear).

    The matching part "C" isn't provided in your prompt, but generally, it would involve matching these expressions with their meanings like "to be petrified," "to be extremely scared," etc.


**III. Match the meanings with the words/expressions in italics, and write the appropriate meaning next to the sentence. The first one has been done for you.**


1. I knew a man *was following* me, I was scared out of my wits. (was chasing)

    * **Answer:** was chasing


2. I *got a fright* when I realised I was all alone. (became frightened)

    * **Answer:** became frightened


3. The chief guest *commended* the student for his bravery. (praised / appreciated)

    * **Answer:** praised / appreciated


4. The boy *shrugged his shoulders* to show he didn't care. (moved his shoulders up and down)

    * **Answer:** moved his shoulders up and down


5. The policeman *ran after* the thief. (chased)

    * **Answer:** chased


6. I *glanced* at my watch. (looked quickly)

    * **Answer:** looked quickly


7. Anil *made a decision* to learn swimming. (decided)

    * **Answer:** decided


8. Please *switch on* the fan. (turn on)

    * **Answer:** turn on


9. Don’t *laugh at* others. (make fun of)

    * **Answer:** make fun of


**IV. Report the following conversation using reporting verbs. Play the roles of the doctor and his friend, and report what they said to each other.**

**Friend:** What happened? I heard you were nearly killed.

**Doctor:** Yes, a snake landed on my shoulder and coiled around my arm.

**Friend:** How did you escape? It must have been terrible!

**Doctor:** I sat like a stone. When it looked into the mirror, it uncoiled itself and moved towards the mirror. I took the chance and ran.


**Example of Reported Conversation:**


The doctor's friend asked him what had happened, as he had heard that the doctor was nearly killed.

The doctor replied that a snake had landed on his shoulder and coiled around his arm.

The friend exclaimed and asked how he had escaped, adding that it must have been terrible.

The doctor explained that he had sat like a stone. He further added that when the snake looked into the mirror, it uncoiled itself and moved towards the mirror. He then said that he had taken the chance and run.


**(Alternatively, using more varied reporting verbs):**

The doctor's friend inquired anxiously about what had happened, mentioning that he had heard the doctor was nearly killed.

The doctor confirmed that a snake had indeed landed on his shoulder and coiled around his arm.

His friend, shocked, questioned how he had managed to escape and remarked that the experience must have been terrible.

The doctor recounted that he had remained motionless like a stone. He then explained that when the snake saw its reflection in the mirror, it uncoiled itself and slithered towards it. He concluded by saying that he had seized that opportunity and fled.

Comments

Popular posts of LearnEase9-10

LearnEase9-10

Class 9, Chapter 8: Reach for the Top

Social Science - Class 10 NCERT Notes

Class 9, Poem 9: The Snake Trying

Mathematics - Class 10 NCERT Solutions